Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

I'm ready to turn in for the night and I'm pondering this day when we honor fathers...thinking about all the fathers who are in my life. This has been an amazing Father's Day. I witnessed Robyn bring her 5th child into the world today. How do you top that Father's Day gift?? I feel so grateful that little Sullivan Michael has arrived safely and that he is coming to a home with so much love and anticipation. There have been some incredibly spiritual moments in this day...moments that can't be put into words but that will be forever in my memory. What a blessing to be witness to this miracle and to share it with three of my four daughters (the other was here in heart). And Bob is such a wonderfully caring and supportive man...such a blessing to our Robyn and our grand kids.

The father of my kids was basically ignored today but I'm grateful for him too. He has this crazy nack for calling literally moments after the grandbaby's birth...before we know statistics or name or anything. And he called Robyn last night when she was stressing over having us here with no baby yet and inconveniencing everyone. He said exactly the right hings....don't worry about any of that, let him come when he's ready and have healthy baby. All the rest isn't important....and sure enough...as soon as she let all that go...he came. Whenever it really counts he comes through. I'm sorry that all this happened on this day, but I DO honor him and his ever important role as the father of these grown children who still need his parenting...just in a little different way.

My sons who are great fathers to their children too. What a sweet thing it is to watch them in those roles and know that they are making such a difference in the lives of their kids. I'm so proud of them. And those son-in-laws who are doing the same and blessing the lives of my girls and their children. And thinking of Nate and his first Father's Day as he embraces the role of father to little Brig. That title.."Father"...carries such power and influence.

And thinking about my own father who left this world much too soon. How I adored him as a child...such great memories of his efforts to do that job so well. In my busy life, I often forget how much I miss him and then it sneaks up on me and hits me when I'm not expecting it. So many demons in his life that he never got to work through here. I hope he has found peace with them.

Anyway....random thoughts about this day. I know my hubby is mad at me tonight and probably rightfully so. It seems there is never enough of me to go around to do it all right. But I remain grateful for him and all those father's and the great influence they have as they embrace and magnify that role and as they touch my life for the better. I'd love to add a darling photo of this gorgeous new little man who has joined our family but all I have is Bob's laptop and my camera isn't compatible so it will have to wait until I get home in a week or so.

And I can't close without mentioning the gratitude I have for my loving Father in heaven who has made all of this possible. Thank you for this incredible day and for the safe and miraculous arrival of this little babe. I recognize Thy hand in the details of my life and I continue to be eternally grateful. Above all else...I honor Thee on this Father's Day.

2 comments: